Friday, January 25, 2008

Time Away

"Well, are we a little fussy tonight?" It was the question asked of me by one of my most trusted parishioners after choir. "Well, are we a little fussy tonight?" I had to think on it for just a moment, wondering if it was a general question or whether it was really specifically being asked of me. It was being asked of me and, of course, I said "No." If ever there was a person on the face of the earth who could ask just such a question of me and, by their demeanor, have me to know that it was meant in the most supportive of ways, this is that one person. Yet, supportive as they might be, I couldn't let my guard down. "No, I'm not fussy. I am recovering from the remnants of a cold, but I'm not fussy. Maybe a little run down, but I'm feeling better. Thanks." Fussiness duly noted. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Just the day before, another person had stopped by the office and asked, "When was the last time you took an entire day off?" Of course my answer was something to the effect, "Well, it was at New Year, but I have been taking hours off here and there, trying to get everything done and still finding time for myself and my family, hoping to have a little mental health time when I can, and looking to take more time soon . . ." My answer was so rambling, it startled even me and the fact that I kept rattling on, even as I was grabbing my jacket and heading off for the hospitals to make calls, only seared the whole exchange more deeply in my mind.
Now I'm being asked if I'm fussy.
The next day in the office, in a conversation with another person, that person asked if I was doing alright. I asked what they meant by that, and they said, "Well, I've just been noticing that you're not smiling and laughing as much lately." I thanked them for their concern, noting that I need to smile more frequently and laugh even if it hurts, and decided to move on to get all of the work done I had piling up on my desk.
Later that same day, wrapping up the planning for the Ash Wednesday Service, putting together the technology which will be used, and sorting out the details with a colleague for the upcoming Easter Vigil which our congregation will be hosting for a ten church region, it occurred to me that I needed to heed God's voice in the love and support my friends were extending to me. It was time to get away for a day.
In ministry, rarely does one ever have the luxury of taking an 'entire' day away, unless a number of things happen: The cell phone is turned off; the answering machine is turned on; your congregation respects your time away; your family protects such time; and, most of all, the pastor respects their own need for time away. Jesus took time to go to a place away from everyone, including His disciples. He took time to breath, to pray, to laugh, to watch, to think, to appreciate, to refocus, and to rest. He took time to lay down in the back of the boat. He took time to go hiking up the mountain. He checked out the scenery in the wilderness and He didn't feel compelled to tell anyone. He took Sabbath. Actually, Sabbath, God's gift of spiritual restoration and renewal, gathered Jesus in Sabbath's arms. He took time away.
His disciples were nerve-narfed. The crowds became agitated. The ones in need of healing sought him frantically. Never had people seen anyone like Jesus and they didn't want another day to pass without having had their request heard by Him, without having listened to Him, without having been touched by Him. Still, Jesus took time away. He needed it . . . and so do I. My workaholic behaviors are catching up with me.
So, I took today off. Went down to the farm, gave my oldest brother a hug, talked with my nephew, visited with Dad, had homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch, drank some coffee, drove a tractor (one of my favorite things on earth), moved brush from a creek bank to a burn pile, picked up roots, drank some more coffee, enjoyed the drive back and forth, stopped at the store and purchased some bird seed (see previous articles on this little ongoing project), took a leisurely shower, made supper, enjoyed conversation with my wife and youngest son, and am now relaxing at the computer (by the way, the very act of writing a blog is relaxing to me). A nearly perfect day . . . away.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that not everything will get done and not everyone's needs will be met every day . . . and that is okay. Sometimes I have to be reminded that Jesus took time away and if it is good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for me. Sometimes I have to remember that I am one servant in field, one harvester called into the labors of God's work: I am not the only servant. Sometimes Sabbath has to embrace me through the kindness of others before I am ready to relinquish control and receive God's gift of refreshment. Sometimes I just have to be reminded to take time away.
For those individuals who made those 'gentle' little comments regarding my state of being: Thank you. Thank you for caring for your Pastor. I only pray my love and gratitude shows through to each of you for who you are as God's gift in my life.
And, for those of you who read this article and are not a part of the faith family which I serve, but are a member of another faith family: take care of your Pastor by honoring their need for time away. Require it, if you must. Regular renewal on their part does not take away from their ministry with your congregation but, rather, enhances it. Require time away for them as you require time away for yourself. Like the saying for milk, "It does a body good!" And, if it is good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for those who serve Him.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

No comments: