Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Missed Appointments

What is it about this day? I initiated a Conference Call for 1:00 p.m. today with three other people, a call that had been scheduled a month ago, and only one of the three called in for the Conference. Then I stayed in the office for a 3:30 p.m. appointment an individual scheduled this morning, stating, " . . . I just have to get this done today! It won't work at any other time on my calendar!" and at 3:45 p.m. she called in to say she will have to reschedule it for sometime early next week. "Sorry if I made you wait around" was all the apology which was offered, and I thought, "No, you're not. What you are really sorry about is that you couldn't squeeze it into your calendar today and, if you had your druthers, you wouldn't do it next week either!" Oh, well, what is time on a Pastor's schedule, anyway?!
Then, at just about the time I was really ready to go off in a funk about what had transpired, God's angel of personal epiphanies made an appearance with the words, "And how many times, Mr. High and Mighty, have you done the same thing to God?" Oh, man! Talk about hitting below the belt! I thought I had every reason to feel really ticked and self-righteous about how shabbily my time and priorities had been treated by all of these other people. Then, I am put in the position to relate how many times I do the same thing to God - and suddenly I am feeling pretty sheepish and humbled.
I cannot count the number of times I have said I would do something for God in just a minute, how many times I would help the person in distress on the side of the road when I have the time without messing up my schedule, how many times I planned to pick up extra food at the store for the Food Pantry but just didn't have the time to get it there, how many times I thought about taking the clothes I have 'outgrown' to the shelter but keep forgetting to put them in the car, how many times I could have gotten someone a drink and thought that they could get it themselves, or how many times I planned to visit someone who was homebound or in an assisting living facility, but just never seemed to get around to it. I cannot count the number of times, nor do I want to begin trying to count the number of times, neither do I want witnesses (and there are way too many witnesses of my escapades) to begin naming the times. Just the mere mention of the opportunities, the promises, to do something for God, is reminder enough: It is not good to throw stones when you live in a glass house.
It is easy for the scribes and Pharisees among us to identify in the woman caught in adultery the reason she should be stoned (John 8:1-11). What is far harder to identify is that which is within each one of us that really demands the same sentence, for truly, none of us is without sin.
As Jesus said to the woman, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again", so He says to each of us when, like me, we so easily get caught up in the hypocrisy of our own self-images: "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again."
I don't like being stood up, so I had better practice not standing up others . . . especially God. Yet, more than that, more than practicing not standing up others, I need to practice forgiving others as I pray God forgives my sinfulness. Anyone can condemn, but forgiveness and the art of living as one who is forgiven takes a lifetime to learn. And today was just another lesson at the feet of the Master. Thank you, God, for your grace which claims me. Teach me, God, to extend that grace to others with the humility and strength of Jesus.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

No comments: