Wednesday, January 9, 2008

In Whose Grace or At Whose Expense Do You Live?

I sat in a meeting today with a person who seemed to be more determined to make a point at my expense than to make an earnest contribution to the conversation of their own. As I drove away trying to make sense of such behavior, I thought, "God, how do You put up with all of us? I know that I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but do I do that same thing to You? Am I about making my 'points' at your expense?"
The more I thought about it, the more I kept coming back to Jesus' story about the Pharisee and the tax collector in the Temple, both bringing offerings of worship and resources. The Pharisee said, "'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, the tax collector went down to his home justified rather than the Pharisee; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted." (Luke 18:11b-14 NRSV)
God has given each of us gifts for our time and place, each in our own measure and capacity to utilize them, but the spirit in which the gifts are offered is the measure by which God perceives the heart of the believer. To beat another over the head with your gifts makes you a smaller person.
We may not be able to control how the Pharisee's among us behave, but we can certainly control whether or not we are the Pharisee. So, to quote another text, " . . . but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15b)
Lord, I may not always live your gifts in me well, but I pray your gifts in me well up to you in humble adoration always.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

No comments: