Thursday, January 24, 2008

Being Known By Your Voice

For fun in the local high school basketball season, I announce the home games. I have the pleasure of introducing the starting line-ups, naming the coaches and officials, and doing a play-by-play throughout the game of who is in, who scored, who fouled, etc . . . and I have a blast doing this. The members of the teams (and their parents) like hearing their names announced in the gymnasium and it provides a certain 'home court' advantage to our players whose 'made shots' are given a little extra emphasis.
The other evening, following a game with a Conference rival, one of the fans from that rival school (who was a high school classmate of mine) came over to the scorer's table and said, "Man, I didn't realize that was you until the last minute or so of the game! I saw you in the gym earlier, but didn't realize where you were until I happened to glance over at the table just before the end of the game. You do a great job! Thanks for giving all the kids a boost! That was fun!"
It was nice to receive a pat-on-the-back from an old friend and classmate, and I am glad that they appreciated the effort which was made for both of the teams but, what caught my attention and made me stop and think were his words, "I didn't realize that was you until the last minute or so of the game!"
Now, I will grant you it has been a while since last the two of us had spoken and, really, he had no reason to even be thinking that the announcer might have been me, yet, that he didn't know it was me by the sound of my voice reminded me that this is a relationship I with which I need to spend some time. When friends don't remember the sound of your voice, you haven't been in conversation with them lately.
My congregation knows the sound of my voice. My Confirmation Class knows the sound of my voice. My wife knows the sound of my voice. My children and granddaughter know the sound of my voice. Many in this small community know the sound of my voice. Most of the kids on the teams here in town know the sound of my voice . . . but an old friend did not know the sound of my voice, and that made me think.
In the 10th Chapter of John, Jesus says, "Very truly, I tell you, anyone who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. They will not follow a stranger, but they will run from him because they do not know the voice of strangers." (New Revised Standard Version. Italics added for emphasis)
Of all the voices sounding in our busy world, of all the politicians, church leaders, announcers, television and radio personalities, musicians, vocalists, and the like, how are we to specifically recognize the voice of the Shepherd and follow him exclusively, running from strangers who would do us harm? I suspect, we are most likely to recognize the voice of the Shepherd . . . if we have been listening to it, for it, all the while.
My old friend didn't know my voice precisely because he hadn't heard it in a long time. I'm not sure if that is my fault or his . . . or if such things just happen, but the fact remains, he didn't know my voice and had no reason to come to it had I called him. I pray, though, that more than knowing my voice, folks in the gymnasium, in the community, in the church, and in my home, will hear in my voice the voice of the One who is the Shepherd . . . and will recognize the Shepherd because they are in regular conversation with Him every day. I know I am not the Shepherd, but I pray that in the faithfulness, inclusion, love, and caring present in my voice, others will hear the voice of the Shepherd and heed His call to follow Him on the way. People might hear my voice and not recognize that it is Pastor Don, but I pray when they hear my voice, the words and actions which become the tonality of my being allow their ears to hear the Shepherd calling them by name - and that they follow Him because He is the friend with Whom they meet and share the journey every day.
I am humbled and excited be the announcer for basketball games here in our fair and lovely town, celebrating the accomplishments of young men and women who are growing into what God is birthing them to be. Yet, more than hearing my voice over the sound system, I pray that these same young women and men (and all of the parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and fans at large) hear the voice of the Shepherd calling their name, calling them into faith, calling them into service, calling them into life . . . and I pray that they know His voice because they are walking and talking with Him every day.
I am going to spend some time with an old Friend today, to be sure I know His voice in all I hear every day. I pray you do, too. How embarrassing will it be for any of us to reach the end of the game and not know the One whose Voice leads us home.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am new to this blog and I have enjoyed reading some of your past journal entries - I will continue to "catch-up". I think of how much fun it is to hear a voice from the past: If I find so much enjoyment from this, I cannot fathom the joy Our Father feels when He hears the sound of a returning voice lifted up in prayer.