Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Opportunity to Comment

Driving home last night from a basketball game, I had some time to ponder the discipline of writing this blog. Remembering the articles written and the time it had taken was easy. Knowing whether or not those articles are making a difference to others is not so clear. There have been only a couple of comments in nearly a month of articles, which got me to thinking about today: Sunday.
Worship is our opportunity to speak with the Author of our faith, face to face. Worship is our corporate opportunity to voice in community that which we have been thinking or speaking privately. Worship, as a community of faith, is our time to lift to God our, "Amen!" "So be it!" "I disagree!" "I don't understand!" "I love you!", as well as our, "Why did this happen?" "Are you with me in this?" "What did you mean when you spoke those words?" and "Do you even hear what I say?"
Worship with the gathered faith family is that one unique moment in time when we sit face to face with the cross of God's voice, when the quiet of an empty grave permeates our questions and comments, and when the resurrected love of Christ quietly fills our hearts with God's own message for our days. Worship is Comment Time. Yes, without doubt, God loves to hear our voices lifted in adoration and wonder for all that God does on our behalf, for all that God speaks into life, for all that God ponders into being. But, God is also big enough, merciful enough, and gracious enough, to hear our puzzlement and doubts, our anger and our sadness, our fear and our brokenness. For all of this, worship exists as an eternal gift of God. In some ways, worship is an unending blog, written by God and open for all of us to read and comment.
We are never forced to open the page, neither are we chastised if we do not respond, yet, I cannot fathom it being any easier for God than it is for me when so few enter into the conversation: Is there anyone even listening? Is there anyone who cares?
Take this opportunity today to worship the God of our Salvation, to respond to God's Living Word being spoken lovingly in your ears. Take this opportunity to listen to God's wisdom poured out for you - and in prayerful love and humility, take the time to speak back of where you are on the journey. God is still speaking. God is still listening.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one made me think about my own conversations with God, or the lack thereof. Thanks for opening the door, again, for me.

Anonymous said...

Made me think.