Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Knowing How To Drive On Snow and Ice

We received barely a covering of sleet and snow last night and, after arriving at work, Nancy called to let me know that the roads were fine, though there were a few cars off of the road . . . and one car had rolled over. She saw no-one around them, so the accidents must have happened much earlier, but the cars remained as a stark reminder to those who came after: Be Careful! Later in the day, while in a doctor's office, the nurse who was doing my preliminary work made the comment, "People in Southern Illinois just don't know how to drive in the sleet and snow. They are always in such a hurry and, to make it worse, insist on making cell phone calls while driving . . . no matter what the weather." Her words struck a cord with what Nancy had relayed to me earlier, but I had to wonder, 'Is it that we don't know how to drive in varying weather conditions? Or is it that we expect everyone else, including the weather, to accommodate for us and whatever it is we are doing while we are driving, no matter what the conditions?' Hmmmm.
Okay, God, what is it that You are trying to say here? Yes, I think I have a pretty good handle on how to be faithful. I believe that, at least most of the time, I am attentive to what You are calling me to do and, try always to go where You would have me to go, when You want me there. But, do I give the changing conditions of the surrounding environment the attention I should, especially when it would save my life? Or is my expectation that everyone else should make accommodations for me, that oncoming traffic in a snow storm should give right-of-way to my vehicle no-matter-what, so that I can go as fast as I want, whenever I want, wherever I want? Have we gotten so engrossed in the immediate gratification culture that it has now spilled over into our attitudes regarding driving? 'The road should be dry for my tires.' 'The curve should straighten out for my speed.' 'The ice shouldn't form anywhere I might be driving.' 'The snow should pile up in the ditches and let the roads clear for me.' Hmmmmmmm.
And how does this translate into living the faith? Lord God, how we must test You! The snow is no more designed to upset our lives than prayer time is meant to stop life from being lived, yet both serve to slow us down and give us an opportunity to reflect on the goodness of all that is a part of God's creation. The question is not of the snow or of spiritual disciplines, the question is of whether or not we are willing to paid heed to either, even when our soul is on the line.
Unfortunately, our spiritual time with You, O God, more often than not, finds itself on its' roof, like the car which has rolled over on the side of the road. We were too busy with getting somewhere 'right now', too occupied with making sure the radio was on the right station, too busy multi-tasking while driving, or too tired to pay attention to what we are doing because we stayed up late the night before trying to get everything done that will make our living 'successful'. In gaining the miles, we lose our lives. In getting everything done, nothing is finished. In trying to complete everything at once, we become more incomplete by the second.
God, would You do us a favor? Please continue not getting out of our way. Please continue in your creative work of raining, sleeting, snowing, sunshining, praying for us, coming to us, being with us, and inviting us to be with You in all that is Yours. Make us careful drivers in our journey with and for You. And, one more thing: when our lives are out of control, sending us skidding into the ditches or into each other, preserve our lives and the lives of those around us from the callousness of our actions. For, though we may sometimes act like it isn't so, our lives are forever rooted in You and now is the time to remember and savor that precious gift. Sleet and snow on the well-laid highways of our plans remind us we are not always in control, and we are grateful You are. Keep us in your grace and on the road, a feat accomplishable only in You.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

No comments: