Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Messy Desk

My desk is a mess. I've tried cleaning it, but then find that I cannot locate the things I need when I want them. So, the piles multiply like rabbits and the papers spread out much as water runs downhill. I've heard it said that a messy desk is the sign of a busy person. I've also heard it said that a messy desk is the sign of a cluttered mind. I think I'll go with the former over the latter, after all, claiming to be busy opens the door for further accumulation. Right?! Claiming a cluttered mind seems a bit too personal . . . and far too accurate.

Maybe that's the reason Jesus didn't maintain an office: it would have been too much of a distraction. With having to constantly monitor the email requests for healings, the snail mail requests for motivational speaker appearances, the Facebook requests of folks wanting to 'friend' him . . . and the notices of those who are 'unfriending' him because of his controversial statements about the Temple and government, and not to mention tending to the telephone messages Mary Magdalene would have placed in his box from Concerned Citizens for a Renewed Israel and other assorted lobbyists who were demanding of his time and attentions, Jesus just would have never gotten anything else done! On the other hand, maybe having an office would have kept Jesus from being crucified . . . 'cause you can't get angry with or jealous over someone you never see! I guess we'll never know.

Maybe that's why my desk is such a mess: it's the cross I bear for Jesus. My desk is a mess so his never has to be . . . . yeah, that sounds good! I'll go with that. A messy desk is the sacrifice I make so that Jesus' hands are free to do the work he needs to do in our hurting world. A messy desk is my calling, my Via Dolorosa. The crowds may deride me, but I will keep moving forward in service to Jesus, regardless their animosity. The higher the piles, the closer the Kingdom. 'Father, forgive those whose desks are clean, for they know not what they do.'

Looking around this morning, Holy Week must be near. 'Not my will, Lord, but thine be done.' I'm going to grab a cup of coffee and do my best to do Your will, Lord. Grant me faith and strength waddle through the mess, while bearing up under the scrutiny of the Pilate's and Caiaphas' of the world who would judge my worth by the standards others would impose. 'A clean desk will not save you', is now my mantra. May I live it for You, Jesus, with all my heart, mind and soul!

No comments: