Thursday, March 8, 2012

Celebrate Life

There was a time when I couldn't wait to grow up. Then there were the days when I couldn't wait to drive. There were the days when I couldn't wait to farm full time. Then there were the days I couldn't wait to get married. Then I couldn't wait to have children. Then I couldn't wait to get through school. Then I couldn't wait to receive my first call to a church. Then I couldn't wait for our kids to grow up. Then I couldn't wait to make the move after receiving a call to our second church. Then I couldn't wait for the kids to get really involved in sports. Then I couldn't wait for Nancy to get a job back in Illinois. Then I couldn't wait for the kids to graduate from High School to go to college . . . .

And after all that 'couldn't wait' stuff, now it seems life is rolling down the hill pretty quickly. There are mornings when I feel like I'm riding in my old 'Little Red Wagon' down a long hill, dragging my feet on each side to slow down. The remarkable thing I realized this morning, though, is that I am laughing while taking the ride. Life is fun.

I wouldn't trade a day, an experience, a moment for whatever lies ahead, because slowly I am learning not to be so impatient for whatever I think might be better. Though I may not have another day on this earth, let it not be said that I didn't enjoy the ride on this day and giggle uproariously along the way. Let it not be said that I didn't savor the gifts of God, for in the savoring I am finding what truly it means to be alive today.

No comments: