Saturday, December 26, 2015

At Home

It is Saturday, the day after Christmas 2015, and it is raining, dreary and grey.
So it is that I am at home . . . in my Church Office, preparing for tomorrow's worship services - and I am grateful to be here. Truth be told, I am glad to be so at home in the worship and fellowship facilities of St. Paul UCC, Lebanon . . . I'm feeling the need to be at home in God today.
Earlier in the day I drove to the hospital and spoke with a person who is really struggling with illness and a chronic debilitating condition. Throughout this day my heart has been in constant prayer for friends who are deep in the journey of grief and healing. A few moments ago, I received word from another that a diagnosis had just been received in their life and it was not what they were hoping to hear. For such as these the Gift of Bethlehem comes.
I would invite you to continue the Christmas festivities and gather with me in the pleasure and need of talking with God concerning the world in which we live and our sisters and brothers who are longing for understandable, believable, Spirit-filled answers . . . Will you join me?
Will you join me in Christmas Grace by being gracious to others?
Will you join me in Christmas Joy by sharing joy with others?
Will you join me in Christmas Abundance by giving of yourself for others?
Will you join me in Christmas Healing by sitting with and caring for others?
Will you join me in Christmas Comfort by gathering the uncomfortable into you and your home?
Will you join me in Christmas Love by seeing in others that for which you pray God sees in you?
Will you join me in Christmas Rejoicing by welcoming the opportunity to tell the Story?
Will you join me in Christmas . . . in the Home of God's own heart by praying for others as Christ does for you?
Will you join me in God's Home . . . in the sacred space of family gathered, in community shared, in the quiet of prayer and the raucous wonder of hymns?
Will you join me in God's Home in this day . . . just for the sheer gift of being present with the One who, in Jesus, is Present for you?
The Gospel text for services tomorrow is the story of the 12 year old Jesus lingering in the Temple and saying to his parents, who had thought they had lost him, "Didn't you know that it was necessary for me to be in my Father's house?" 
As it is for Jesus, may it be so for us all. Come, be at Home in God wherever you are, for God has come to be at home, through Jesus, in you.
Blessings in this Christmas Season!

No comments: