Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Each of Our Children

Last night Ched, our youngest, reminded me how blessed we are that each of our children are unique, loving, gifts of God.
I grew up the third of four boys, always having to hear how well my older brothers did in school, how well behaved they were in church, how talented they were in singing, and how hard working they were on the farm. Now, looking back, I can only wonder how much harder it was for my younger brother, Bruce, as he had the additional burden of a third brother, me, in the equation. Though I doubt that any one of our friends, teachers, or relatives meant anything burdensome to come out of their comments, still, it often felt like I was growing up in the long shadows of my much more admirable brothers. Being the tallest of the boys did not figure in the diminutive scaling of abilities which seemed always to plague my efforts at individuality and I promised myself that I would never allow that to happen to any of the children blessed to my care.
Though I cannot guarantee that Ched hasn't had the same yoke thrust upon his shoulders, being the youngest of three and all three having gone through the same school system, still, he has managed to express his God given individuality and wonder in the choices he is making and the ways he is maturing. I was reminded of that last night as he walked across the gymnasium floor to receive the Sophomore Student of the Year Award. He is coming into his own on his own terms and others, peers and teachers alike, are affirming his choices.
All three of our boys are gifts of God and each of them is blessed differently. I am humbly proud of each and give thanks to God for allowing me to share some time with them on the journey of their growing into God's vision for them. Though all three are very different individuals, all three are also very much the same in their priority to family, their passion to excel, in their enjoyment of all things wondrous, in their care for others, and in their faith in God. Some of all of that, I hope, comes from the environment in which they grew up, but I am not so arrogantly wired as not to understand that much of it is who they are choosing to become. They are the emerging product of their Creator's vision . . . and Ched the soccer player, Ched the runner on the track team, Ched the studier, Ched the trumpet and tuba player, Ched the Model United Nations member, Ched the Saturday Scholar member, Ched the musical cast member, Ched the National Honor Society member, Ched the Bell Choir member, Ched the Senior High Youth member, Ched the Eagle Scout, Ched the friend, Ched the disciple of Christ, Ched the son . . . . Ched is expanding the Creator's vision in the way only he is able.
When most he might have been shadowed by his brothers, he is choosing to stand in the Son with them. When most he might have been burdened by their legacy, he is choosing to join in the Harmony of their voices. When most he might have been bitter about being last, he allows the Spirit within him to say how best he is the original in God's eyes. He is becoming his own person in the grace of the One who continues to breathe new life into us all . . . and I am awestruck at the sight.
Lest you think I see our sons only with rose colored glasses, I must confess that our children, like most others, see and create their own share of havoc. It is, as my mother always prophesied, "God's way of bringing things full circle." Yet, as I pray my life is not defined by others in the mistakes I have made, so I pray the individual giftedness our children is remembered long after their errors have been forgiven and forgotten. As I pray for myself, so I pray for them and us all: that God's grace lingers in our memory long after our memory has entered into God's grace. Thank you, Ched, for being who you are and who you are becoming, and thank you, too, for allowing me to share the journey with you in love.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don
Church Sign of the Week:
THINK ABOUT HUNGER,
THEN TELL US AGAIN WHY
A FARM IS WORTH MORE
AS A SUBDIVISION.

No comments: