Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Sound of 'Dad'

The ringtone of my cell phone is Santana's "Smooth", and nearly every time it starts playing, I choose to let it play for a bit so I can dance to the tune. I am grateful that the people calling me are unable to see what happens when my phone rings, because "Smooth" takes me into this kind of 'funky' dance that, when seen by our sons, causes them to say (in that low disapproving, "God, I hope none of my friends can see this." voice), "Dad." At which point, I answer the phone and walk away from them, somehow certain that they are secretly proud their father is still 'with it', yet knowing they would never admit it in public. Please, allow me my delusion. Thank you.
Still, even as I relate to you what they say as they see me react to Santana's "Smooth", it is hard to articulate to you the sound of 'Dad' in their voices. On the Child-Approval-Meter, the sound of 'Dad' across my children's lips at that moment would have to rate in the nearly negative numbers, as opposed to the sound of 'Dad' on their lips when they really want something that only 'Dad' can get them. Hmmmmmm.
Which makes me think of how I call on God. "Oh, God!" "Oooohhhhh, God?" "God!" "Dear, God" and a whole host of other ways I call on God's name, some of which I would rather not put into print, if you know what I mean. And here I pause, because I realize it is not all in how my children say 'Dad', some of it is in how I hear, 'Dad.'
How do you hear your Name on my lips, God? Do You hear approval and trust? Do You hear delight and laughter? Do You hear a desire that what You think matters to me? Do You hear the voice of a loving child or a willful brat? When your Name slips across my lips, in whatever form I speak it in the moment, does it make you cringe and walk away? Do I leave You hoping that someday I will be as proud of You as I am of myself? Do I speak your Name as I would call upon a friend . . . or do I speak to You as I sometimes do to those I do not know? How many times have You felt 'dismissed' by the sound of your Name on my lips . . . and how many times have I called upon You and left You wondering why I couldn't say your Name that way all the time? How do you hear your Name on my lips, God?
It is something I will ponder when next my cell phone rings and the dancing starts, and my sons say, 'Dad' . . . partly because I will wonder what You hear from me, God . . . and partly because I know that every time You get a call from one of your children, You dance, too. Your ringtone is set to the 'Smooth' sound of a stone being rolled away from an empty tomb and the 'Alleluias!' that angels sing to an extended Santana guitar riff. Hmmmmmm. I wonder where I could get that ringtone? I wonder if my cell phone carrier has it listed under, "Easter Sunday Worship Tones"? I'll check it out, God . . . and I say that with total admiration.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking!! I will remember to think about "my tune" the next time I call... Isabel