Monday, June 11, 2012

It's Raining

It's raining. There are few words which will, in the driest of times, stir a farmers heart like those two little words: It's raining.

Driving back from a St. Louis hospital this morning(in the rain, hee-hee!) one of the local radio personalities was bemoaning the overcast, rainy weather we are having and I thought, "It's clear you don't earn your living from the land, nor do you know the difference this rain makes in the quality or cost of the food you buy." I know, I know, most people can only see their own self-interest and what affects it, yet, as dry as it has been one might think a word of joy might be appropriate . . . .

So, rather than bemoan the voice of uninformed ignorance, I take this moment to thank God for prayers answered. I thank God for hearing the cries of the truly 1% of the American population (American farmers) who live in this neck of the woods. I thank God for tending to the needs of the 100% of the people around the world who depend on their labors, their furrowed brows in such times, their clasped hands in humble connection with our Creator, and their unending faith even when prayers for rain are not answered. I thank God for the luxury of praying for the health of crops which grow in responsive joy to the Care they are given. And, I thank God for the grace given to such poor 'schlookers' like me who don't deserve such an abundant gift, yet from whom no good gift is withheld.

Thank you, God, for the rain today. Like the sound of an empty tomb when death is thought to hold sway, it is sweet music to my ears and the kindest of gifts You could offer for the people of the land with whom You work each day. We sing Your praises!

No comments: