Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Coach or Fan?

I'm not sure which is hardest: Coaching your son when he is playing sports or being a (grandparent) fan while your son coaches his daughter.


I have always loved sports, though I have never been very good at them. I played basketball through 8th grade, when it was decided that my time would be better spent helping on our family dairy farm. Never played baseball - same reason. I did throw the shot put on the track team in my Senior year, but by then I could drive and had my own car and getting me back and forth wasn't an issue. I played slow-pitch softball for a number of years on two teams, St. Clair County Farm Bureau Young Farmers and Sinn's Inn, primarily doing the catching. And, I did bowl on a league for a decade or so. But, I was never the stand-out athlete. I was part of the team.

So it was that, when our boys started out in sports and, as such things go, coaches were needed, I volunteered. I knew I didn't have a lot of expertise, but time spent with the team and, more importantly, with your children, is time never lost to all of the other 'stuff' in life. Also, my wife observed that when I was coaching the kids on the floor or diamond I was less likely to offer 'helpful observations' to the officials. I was never sure exactly what she meant by that, since several of those same officials always seemed to make sure they knew where I was sitting before the game ever started . . . I believe it made it easier for them to seek out my insights, but then that was my opinion.

Nevertheless, I coached many of the junior sports in which our boys were involved while they were growing up. Yet, now, the mantle has been passed on. Our oldest son, Matt, is a coach on his oldest daughter's softball team . . . and last night I found out that 'watching supportively' isn't the easiest thing in the world. You would be pleased that I didn't offer any advice or direction to the umpire . . . who was a fourteen year old girl who appeared to know more about the game than most of the men on the field. You might also be pleased that I allowed the coaches to do their work, including Matt, maybe especially Matt, since Cailin pitched for two innings in their game winning effort. I focused on being a grandparent, a fan, and that was just enough. I drove home in the glow of love and family and the passing of traditions.

If it is so for me, as a mere human being, then how much more is it true for the God and Parent of us all? How hard is it for God to sit there on the sidelines and cheer on the team without stepping on the field and taking over? Trust, wisdom, understanding and hope in each one of us are expressed by God when Jesus says, "You are the branches." Go out and play the game and do the best you are able . . . "and I am with you always, even unto the end of the age."

It is something to remember while I watch the grandchildren play.

No comments: