Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Moment in Time

Even as I write this in my office, there are a group of folk at work in the kitchen of the church readying a dinner for after worship. Normally I am helping in the kitchen, but today am banned from assistance for my dear sisters and brothers in Christ are preparing to kick off the 140th Anniversary of St. Paul United Church of Christ and celebrate my 20th Anniversary of Ordination. This is their gift of love and fellowship to me and my family . . . and I am completely humbled.
June 5, 1988 was the exact date of my Ordination, which is just yesterday in my mind, so quickly have the years flown by. As Nancy and I shared a cup of coffee last evening on the front porch of our home, which looks out over the worship and fellowship facilities of St. Paul, she reflected that, "It's probably a really good gift from God that these 20 years have seemed to fly by. Imagine what it would mean if they had seemed to be an eternity." I think that is one of the reasons I love her so, she is always right (or so she tells me).
These years have flown by, with two congregations and a whole host of saints who work hard to embody the kingdom in their everyday living, 20 years is but a day, a moment, a breath. And, if so for me, how is it with God? The Psalmist says, "For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere." (Psalm 84.10a) A thousand elsewhere would be that, a thousand days lived out of God's presence, which would be Hell. One day in God's courts is immeasurable in joy and unfathomable in completeness. It is a day of sacred journey and holy living. It is every bit of 20 years in ministry, yet so much more.
I am blessed to have shared 20 years of ministry with two wonderful congregations and a loving family who patiently understands and lives through the quirks of pastoral ministry. They have made 20 years fly by and seem as a day in the courts of God. Thus, I am twice blessed: the first blessing is the people with whom I share ministry; and, the second blessing births the first, for it is ministry lived in the very presence of God, making life complete.
Where ministry goes from here I do not know. That is up to God, as have been the first 20 years. What I do know is this: I would have no other purpose than to serve God in walking with Christ in the power of the Spirit. For whatever years of ministry are left in my life, may they be as a day in the courts of God, for there my heart will always reside.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 20 years, and here's to 20 more (hopefully, with us). It was a wonderful day yesterday, and I am sorry I had to leave so I could attend my niece's high school graduation. You are a blessing to everyone, and we are lucky to have you leading and guiding us in God's love and Christ's mission.

Anonymous said...

While you have been my pastor/leader/mentor for only a short period of time, I feel deeply blessed and priveledged to have been led to you and this church. I am sorry that I missed yesterday's celebration, but I wish you congratulations! I hope you will continue to serve the awesome faith family in Lebanon for another 20+ years to come.