Monday, February 4, 2008

Foggy Mornings

It was incredibly foggy this morning, the kind of fog that makes people say things like, "You couldn't see your hand in front of your face" and "This reminds me of a hangover I'd rather forget" and "It's so thick, I won't be able to see tomorrow for a week". The wierd thing is, I understand every one of those statements! It was foggy, the result of the 9 inches of snow we received on Friday of last week and a warm front passing over us today raising the temperatures into the 70's, which is not a very healthy combination. Severe thunderstorms are predicted for tonight and tomorrow as the next front gets into position to bring us the chance of more snow tomorrow evening. If you don't like the weather in the St. Louis area, just wait a few hours, it will change!
One thing that remains clear, even on the foggiest of days: The steadfast love of the Lord endures forever (Psalm 136). I am reminded of that truth, rested on its bedrock foundation, as I visited with an old friend seeking consolation this morning. Sometimes our lives have a tendency to become a blur of events, with people parading through like characters playing bit parts in a game of charades, but as I listened to his story, as his eyes both twinkled and teared, as he related his own feelings of grief and hope, I was privileged to observe the holy hand of God embracing his life. Even as he spoke of cross-like feelings, abandonment, pain, sorrow, sacrifice, and isolation, he conveyed it all in the language of empty-tomb understandings, for his words were of wonderment, hope, love, gratitude, graciousness, and peace. He reminded me with the most humbling and powerful of kindnesses, by taking my hands in his and sharing prayer in the midst of his difficult day, the Son of Righteousness shines through in the hearts of those who are open to His love - and in that blaze of glory, there is no need for sun or moon, for the Light of the Lord glistens in all of creation, and all God's creatures say, 'Glory!" For this child of God whose life has been sorely tested, whose eyes see clearly in a world that most others would find painfully, frightfully, foggy . . . for this child of God, the steadfast love of the Lord endures forever and is abundantly 'Enough!' to see him through his pain.
Sometimes, I wish the weather wasn't so foggy, so difficult through which to move, so disorienting in its hold on me, yet, were it not for the fogginess of the occasional mid-winters day, we would not relish the boldness of the sun burning away the clouds of gloom. The steadfast love of the Lord endures forever (Go ahead, read Psalm 136 and ponder on it with the Psalmist!) and the Lord's witnesses in every generation proclaim that gospel, as each has ability. I am grateful to have heard those words anew today in the hands and heart of such a good friend whose life embodies their meaning, even in the foggiest of times . . . and I pray for you such revelations and epiphanies your whole life through.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I drove home in the fog and as the fog grew thicker I remembered when I was younger and how I was afraid of the fog. But the older I get it seems I almost find solice in it. There is no up ahead of me or no behind me, only fog. Reminding me to live in the second I am in, very aware of the moment.
It is in the fog I feel God's hand guiding me or maybe I am just more aware of it being in the moment. I guess when the sun comes out and the fog lifts we rejoice but then sometimes we creep into taking it all for granted.
I really think the fog can be beautiful and mysterious at times, also reminding us that in the swirling heavy mist of fog around us, we are never alone, never without God's love.