Thursday, September 4, 2008

Leaping for the Waters

Our Black Labrador puppies love to lap water from the hose before it ever reaches their watering bowl. I cannot tell you why they like it, but they will come running from wherever they are in the yard just to get a shot at drinking from the hose - and it is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. Literally hopping up and down on all fours, each puppy tries to lap the water closer to the end of the hose than the other one can reach in a competition of sorts, the end result of which is that one or both of them collide in mid-air trying to reach the source of the water and both of them inevitably end up nearly immersed in the water bowl itself which lies at the feet of their competition.
It made me wonder when last I was the one trying to get closer to the Source of the cooling, cleansing waters of Life, when last I was so taken by attempting to reach the Source that I gave no care as to who was watching or what sort of laughter I was giving to others in my efforts. It made me wonder when it was that the kind of 'puppy-like' behavior which now gives me such joy to watch became something that I didn't like to do. It made me wonder if I valued the waters of God's presence and sought them out with the eagerness of puppies or regarded those waters as being my right and available whenever I deigned to give God a bit of my time to lap from the bowl at God's feet.
I wondered. So might you.
I think I am going to go outside and splash in a few water puddles and leap towards the sky to catch the rain on my tongue. Wash me, O God, inside and out, from all that makes 'being proper' more desirable than being close to the Source of the Water. See me as a puppy in faith, always ready to lap up your Love and walk with You on the journey.
Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Don

No comments: