Monday, December 24, 2007

Getting It Right

At 4:00 in the afternoon of Christmas Eve, I find myself in the office wondering if everything which has been prepared is 'right' for services this evening. As Pastor and Teacher of a mid-size Christian congregation, I am more than just minimally aware that this one night may be the only night the Good News of Jesus Christ will be heard by some of the folks in attendance and I wonder what it is they will remember: Was the technology helpful? Did the music invite the worshipper to Bethlehem? Did they see the angels? Did they see the newborn King? The the message invite them to worship the King or to run away in terror? Will they want to learn more or end up caring less?
Then, just as I find myself pondering all these questions of 'having things right', I am reminded by the One who comes to us in the form of a child that we might know God, that all which is asked of me is that I be faithful to my call and to exercise the gifts in the power and presence of God's Holy Spirit. The outcomes of others lives, decisions and choices are up to them. So, like the shepherds before me who came to worship the Child, I go, " . . . glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them." (Luke 2.20) and let 'Getting It Right' and the judgement of others to the One who is, has, and always will have it right and is the final Judge of all things in heaven and on earth. And that is as 'right' as it can be. Peace on earth to all!
Pastor Don

No comments: